A few years ago I got this recipe from my cute friend Summer Smith who got it from a friend who probably got it from a friend…
This soup is always a hit and it is one of my favorites so I of course have to share! I love the smell of all the spices that go into it and it isn’t super heavy either which makes it easy to eat and eat and eat.
There are lots of fresh ingredients, which I love and it is quick and easy to make (my kind of dinner).
- 1/3 cup chopped onion… (I always use fresh onions for the best taste even though the frozen ones are so convenient).
- 3 cloves garlic minced/chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 8 cups chicken broth (or two of the boxes)
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 4 oz diced green chile’s (make sure that these are the mild ones…. unless you want your soup hot and spicy. Also I don’t use the whole can but this is up to you)
- 10-15 white corn tortillas cut into slices (just pile them on top of each other and cut) I use the Rico brand – typically located by the refrigerated cheeses.
- 1/2 cup frozen corn (I added corn to this recipe to give it a little bit more color and taste but you can leave out if you’d like)
- 1 1/2 lb chicken (I use the Costco rotisserie chicken – shred the whole thing and dump it in)
- Use a large 6 quart pot and place over Medium heat. Saute all of the spices until until they have a golden tint but do not burn – as they get close, you should be able to smell it!
- Add the chicken broth, canned tomatoes and green chilies
- Cover and bring to a boil
- Put the tortillas in and simmer for 10 minutes (stir it every few minutes so that the tortillas don’t stick and burn onto the bottom of the pan)
- Serve with whatever topping sounds good to you, I love to add avocado, cilantro, sour cream, Parmesan cheese tomatoes, etc.
- Add the chicken and corn and bring to a boil again for 2-3 minutes while stirring
- Let simmer and then serve once the temperature has cooled enough
This is such a mouth-watering, yummy soup for any occasion! Be sure to have this recipe nearby because everyone will ask you all about it! It’s a classic.